Key Points for General Information
The following is some general information about Preschool 4 Janesville (P4J) in Janesville, WI.
- In the School District of Janesville the 4 year old kindergarten program initiative is known as Preschool 4 Janesville (P4J).
- Participation in P4J is voluntary for four year olds.
- P4J provides an enrichment opportunity for four year olds prior to Kindergarten.
- There are no additional charges for P4J at participating community P4J sites. This includes preschools, childcares, Head Start and childcare centers.
- P4J sites provide part and/or full day programming. Centers do not charge for P4J but will charge for the extended services provided.
- All families will have access to parent involvement opportunities and materials for use with their children at home.
- Preschool 4 Janesville encourages partnerships that build on existing early learning programs.
Overview from Angela Lynch, P4J Coordinator
I would love to introduce you to our 4-year-old kindergarten programming in Janesville, WI.
We are currently in our ninth year of implementation of a 4k program in Janesville called Preschool 4 Janesville (P4J). The School District of Janesville partners with 20 different community and school locations to offer P4J programming which incorporates 437 hours of preschool instruction taught by a licensed Department of Public Instruction teacher and 87.5 hours of parent involvement opportunities. Each of our 20 P4J locations (a total of 40 classrooms) has a unique schedule of hours and yearly calendar. You can see the complete list on the "P4J Sites" tab at the top of this page.
For residents of the School District of Janesville, enrollment for P4J begins on February 6, 2017. You can read the details about enrollment by clicking the "Parent Information" tab at the top of this page and then clicking on "How to Enroll"
During that same week of February 6-8, 2017, the School District of Janesville is hosting our 24th annual Child Development Days event in the district for all children under the age of 5 year old. Child Development Days is a child friendly preschool screening and P4J enrollment opportunity. You can learn more about Child Development Days by clicking the "Parent Information" tab at the top of this page then clicking on "Development Days".
On Wednesday January 25, 2017 all of our P4J sites in the community will be hosting Open House opportunities for parents and families to visit the 2017-18 school year P4J sites and classrooms. Hours for all sites are 9-11 am. 1-3 pm and 5-7 pm. Since parents are their child's first and most important teacher, I encourage families to participate in this event. Our P4J sites represent many different styles of preschool instruction from different early learning theorists such as Montessori, Reggio, Piaget and Vygotsky methods of programming. It is important for parents to look at programs and decide what type of programming will best meet the needs of their child and family. All of the programs work from the Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards and utilize our Janesville Early Learning Curriculum. I am available to help answer any questions that you might have as you go through this process.
Families that do not live in the School District of Janesville boundaries and whose home district offers 4k programming, will need to "Open Enroll" their four-year-old child during the February 6th, 2017 through April 30, 2017 open enrollment window. I would love to talk with you to specifically share the Open Enrollment details with you. We have children that Open Enroll to Janesville P4J programming and then they select the program location that they are interested in.
Please feel free to call 608-743-5038 or email with any additional questions.
Angela Lynch, P4J Coordinator